Tripura, a northeastern state of India, is a land of unspoiled natural beauty, ancient temples, and colorful cultural traditions. The state is home to a rich and diverse range of flora and fauna, including several rare and endangered species, making it a must-visit destination for nature lovers.
One of the most famous tourist attractions in Tripura is the Ujjayanta Palace in Agartala, a magnificent palace built in the 19th century by Maharaja Radhakishore Manikya. The palace is now a museum and houses a range of artifacts and exhibits. Providing visitors with a glimpse into the state’s rich history and culture.
Here are some popular tourist destinations in Tripura.
- Agartala : The capital city of Tripura and a major tourist hub. Explore the Ujjayanta Palace, which serves as the state museum, and visit the nearby Jagannath Temple. Don’t miss the Neermahal Palace, a stunning lake palace located in the middle of Rudrasagar Lake.
- Unakoti : Known for its ancient rock-cut sculptures and stone idols, Unakoti is a significant pilgrimage site. It features an enormous rock-cut Shiva head and is believed to have 1 crore (10 million) rock carvings.
- Jampui Hills : A picturesque hill station in Tripura, offering panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and breathtaking sunrises. The area is known for its pleasant climate, orange orchards, and beautiful landscapes.
- Neermahal : Located in the middle of Rudrasagar Lake, Neermahal is a magnificent water palace. It was built in a blend of Hindu and Mughal architectural styles and is a popular tourist attraction in Tripura.
- Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary : A wildlife sanctuary known for its rich biodiversity. Explore the sanctuary to spot various animals, including primates, deer, and birds. Enjoy a boat ride in the lake within the sanctuary and visit the butterfly park.