Assam located in the northeastern region of India, is a state of diverse cultures, landscapes, and experiences. From rolling tea estates to sprawling wildlife sanctuaries, the state offers a plethora of tourism opportunities for travelers seeking to explore the region.
Assam is known for its rich cultural heritage, which is reflected in its art, music, dance, and cuisine. The state is home to several ancient temples, museums, and historical sites that attract tourists from all over the world.
Assam is also known for its natural beauty, with picturesque landscapes, pristine forests, and gushing rivers. The state is home to several national parks and wildlife sanctuaries.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the top tourist destinations in Assam.
- Kaziranga National Park : A UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its one-horned rhinoceroses, tigers, and other wildlife. A full grown Indian Tiger species of Kaziranga National Park can be up to 11 feet in length and can weigh up to 700 pounds.
- Majuli Island : The world’s largest river island, known for its unique culture, traditions, and the satras, or Vaishnavite monasteries. Majuli is over 400 kms away from Guwahati. The nearest town is Jorhat. It is just 20 kms from the river island.
- Guwahati : Guwahati is the largest city in the northeastern state of Assam, India. Situated on the southern bank of the Brahmaputra River, the town earns the reputation as the gateway to the northeastern region of India. The state capital, known for its ancient temples, scenic beauty, and the Kamakhya Temple, one of the most important Shakti Peethas.
- Manas National Park : A UNESCO Biosphere Reserve known for its rare wildlife, including tigers, elephants, and golden langurs. Manas National Park is in the western part of Assam, along the international border with Bhutan. The Park is one of the recognized tiger reserves in India under the Project Tiger initiative. Conservation and protection initiatives actively strive to safeguard the tiger population and their habitat within the park.
- Sivasagar : A historical town known for its Ahom-era monuments, including the Rang Ghar amphitheater, the Kareng Ghar palace, and the Talatal Ghar fort. Sivasagar served as the capital of the Ahom Kingdom, a dynasty that ruled the region for over six centuries. It was an important center of administration, culture, and architecture during the Ahom reign.
Visit Our YouTube Video Channel Harshada Holidays