Uttar Pradesh, the largest state in India, is a land of great diversity and cultural heritage. The state is home to several important historical sites, ancient temples, vibrant festivals, and diverse wildlife, making it a popular tourist destination in the country.
One of the most famous tourist attractions in Uttar Pradesh is the Taj Mahal, located in Agra. Built in the 17th century by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. Taj Mahal is a symbol of love and one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The city of Agra is also home to several other important historical sites, including the Agra Fort and the Fatehpur Sikri.
Here are some popular tourist destinations in Uttar Pradesh.
- Agra : Home to the iconic Taj Mahal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Explore other architectural gems like Agra Fort and Itmad-ud-Daulah’s Tomb.
- Varanasi : Considered the spiritual capital of India, Varanasi is situated on the banks of the sacred River Ganges. Witness mesmerizing Ganga Aarti ceremonies, take a boat ride along the ghats, and visit ancient temples like Kashi Vishwanath Temple and Sarnath, where Buddha delivered his first sermon.
- Lucknow : The capital city of Uttar Pradesh, Lucknow is known for its rich cultural heritage and mouthwatering Awadhi cuisine. Explore historical sites like Bara Imambara, Chota Imambara, markets of Hazratganj, and savor the famous kebabs and biryanis.
- Prayagraj : A city known for the confluence of three rivers: Ganges, Yamuna, and Saraswati. Visit the holy Triveni Sangam, where pilgrims take a dip to cleanse their sins, and witness the grand Kumbh Mela. If Kumbh Mela taking place during your visit.
- Mathura and Vrindavan : The birthplace of Lord Krishna and a significant pilgrimage site for Hindus. Visit the Krishna Janmabhoomi Temple in Mathura and explore the numerous temples in Vrindavan, including the Banke Bihari Temple and ISKCON Temple.
- Ayodhya : A city steeped in mythology and revered as the birthplace of Lord Rama. Visit the Ram Janmabhoomi Temple complex, Hanuman Garhi, and other ancient temples in Ayodhya.