Chandigarh is a beautiful and well-planned city located in northern India, serving as the joint capital of the states of Punjab and Haryana. Known for its modern infrastructure, clean streets, and ample green spaces, Chandigarh attracts visitors from all over the world.
One of the main attractions of Chandigarh is the Rock Garden, a unique sculpture garden built entirely of recycled materials. Created by artist Nek Chand, the Rock Garden features over 5,000 statues and sculptures, including figures made from discarded ceramics, broken bangles, and discarded bicycle parts. Visitors can wander through the winding pathways of the garden and marvel at the creativity and ingenuity of the sculptures.
Here are some popular tourist destinations in Chandigarh.
- Rock Garden : A unique sculpture garden created by artist Nek Chand. It features a fascinating collection of artwork made from recycled materials like stones, tiles, and discarded ceramics.
- Sukhna Lake : A serene man-made lake situated at the foothills of the Shivalik range. It offers boating facilities, a walking path, and a peaceful environment for picnics and leisurely strolls.
- Rose Garden (Zakir Hussain Rose Garden) : Spread over 30 acres, it is one of Asia’s largest rose gardens. It houses thousands of rose varieties and other flowering plants, making it a paradise for nature lovers and photography enthusiasts.
- Capitol Complex : Designed by renowned architect Le Corbusier, the Capitol Complex is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It comprises several government buildings, including the High Court, Secretariat, and Legislative Assembly, known for their architectural significance.
- Chandigarh Museum and Art Gallery : A repository of art, culture, and history, the museum showcases a diverse collection of artifacts, paintings, sculptures, and archaeological findings. It also houses the famous miniature paintings of the Pahari school.
- Pinjore Gardens (Yadavindra Gardens) : Located on the outskirts of Chandigarh, these historic gardens are known for their Mughal-style architecture, beautiful fountains, and terraced gardens. They offer a scenic setting for leisurely walks and picnics.
- Cactus Garden : Situated in Panchkula (a neighboring city), it is Asia’s largest outdoor cactus garden. It features a wide variety of cacti and succulent plants, including rare and endangered species.